Command Line DVD Burning (for data backup)

I've been looking into burning small data backups onto DVDs, from the command line.

Any recommendations for command line tools?

For now I want to stick with a basic, write-once approach.

So far, for tools I've been using readily available RPMs from RedHat (RHEL3): cdrecord, dvdrecord and dvd+rw-tools.

I've had success with growisofs from dvd+rw-tools. With cdrecord, and the fork dvdrecord, there has been no luck.

It seems that GNOME gets in the way - so no more working under a desktop, and I also disabled autofs.

I have discovered that the same (IDE) drive gives better performance in an external USB2.0 enclosure than installed internally on the motherboard IDE controller.  I thought that was interesting.

FYI the drive is a NEC ND-3500, apparently a european drive. The media is DVD+R.  I have some DVD-R media I might play with as well, but thought I'd save that for when I get to messing with video.  I have a separate Sony DVD reader that I use for evaluating the written media as well.