Command Line DVD Burning (for data backup)

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 16:52, Bob Gorman wrote:

> I've been looking into burning small data backups onto DVDs, from the
> command line.
>
> Any recommendations for command line tools?
>
> For now I want to stick with a basic, write-once approach.
>
> So far, for tools I've been using readily available RPMs from RedHat
> (RHEL3): cdrecord, dvdrecord and dvd+rw-tools.
>
> I've had success with growisofs from dvd+rw-tools. With cdrecord,
> and the fork dvdrecord, there has been no luck.

I've found growisofs works reliably for me, using a Pioneer DVR-A05
DVD-RW drive.

    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -R -J -udf  /path/to/files/*
or
    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=foo.iso

I actually just wrapped it in a bash function that can either generate
an iso image on the fly while burning it, or burn a pre-existing
iso image:

    dvdburn() {
        local BEFORE=$(date +%s)
        local DEV=/dev/dvd
        case "$1" in
        *.iso)
                growisofs -dvd-compat -Z ${DEV}="$1"
                ;;
        *)
                growisofs -dvd-compat -Z ${DEV} -R -J -udf "$@"
                ;;
        esac
        local AFTER=$(date +%s)
        local SEC=$[ $AFTER - $BEFORE ]
        local MIN=$[ $SEC / 60 ]
        local MINSEC=$[ $SEC % 60 ]
        printf '\n\nBurn took %d min %s sec (%d sec)\n\n' \
            $MIN $MINSEC $SEC
    }

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9