Linux install problems

John J. Herda wrote:
| Saturday, with a lot of help, my C drive was
| repartitioned and Fedors Core 2 was loaded.
| However, I have some problems as a result of the
| changes.

Mmnnn...

| 1.  The Windows 98 partition no longer has access to
| my network (Linksys router and cable modem).  So I can
| no longer print on the printer which is on another
| computer running Windows 98 or surf the web.

Nothing *should* have changed for your windows partition.  I've duel
booted with redhat / fedora with no difficulty.  I don't think the
installation of fedora would have effected any of your windows settings
(separate partitions, boot separately, etc), so I suspect that
"Saturday, with a lot of help, my C drive was repartitioned" is the
problem.  So what was the problem?  Maybe this is where we should start
looking unless another list member is more familiar with such an issue.

| 2.  I cannot seem to get Linux to connect to or even
| to find the printer on the windows 98 computer.  So, I
| cannot print from there either.

what win98 computer?  Surely not the one on the same hard drive that is
NOT booted?  Forgive me if I'm reading what you've written
incorrectly...  I have limited experience with CUPS, so another may have
to help here.  I remember scratching my balding pate a lot last time I
played with it.  What does your network look like?  Are you sharing a
printer sitting behind a win98 box?

| 3.  I was able to read some files from a DOS formatted
| floppy one time but later I could not read from
| another DOS floppy that I had written to with Linux
| and then with Windows 98.

I'm not sure what you mean.  You mean a floppy written with fedora isn't
being read by 98?  Did you write to the floppy as ext2 or fat?

| 4.  Of lesser importance, how do I get the date to
| display as yyyy-mm-dd in file listings etc. as I can
| in Windows 98?

Browse file system, edit, preferences.  Now what date do you want to
see?  I assume you're using the default Gnome and not KDE (both are
cool).  Date modified, date accessed.  Lots can be changed here.

| Any ideas?

Keep plugging away!  What one fool can do so can another.  :)

- --
- -D Eric Chadbourne
http://caffeinated.homelinux.net/