Linux install problems

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Derek Martin wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 02:30:41AM -0500, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > Jeff is mistaken.  The ls command does indeed use YYYY-MM-DD style
> > dates when you have the appropriate locale configured (as do many
> > other commands):
>
> I have to disagree.  If your system does this, it's not the
> traditional expected behavior, and probably is something specific to
> either Debian's locales, or with the version of the ls command that
> you're using.  See below.
>
> > nturner at codeine(~)$ locale
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>
> $ echo $LANG
> en_US.UTF-8
> $ ls -l numbers.doc
> -rw-------  1 ddm ddm 27648 Jul 20 00:49 numbers.doc
>
> Doesn't work here -- not on RH9, and not on FC2.

I have to disagree with your disagreement

[david at uni ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=
[david at uni ~]$ ls -l .bash_history
-rw-------    1 david    users       16724 2004-11-10 15:03 .bash_history
[david at uni ~]$ cat /etc/issue

Welcome to SuSE Linux 9.0 (i586) - Kernel \r (\l).

[david at uni ~]$ uname -a
Linux uni 2.4.21-243-athlon #1 Thu Aug 12 15:24:15 UTC 2004 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux
[david at uni ~]$

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "All my life, I always wanted to be somebody.
DK KD  Now I see that I should have been more specific."
DDDD                                       - Lily Tomlin