cyrus-imapd

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 14:05, miah wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 05:28:38PM +0000, Bill Holt wrote:
> > I'm not exactly sure what your trying to do, I have installed cyrus imap successfully with postfix, but if your just trying to set up imap for general purposes I recommend Washington imap or Courier imap. They are very simple to get going.
>
> AHHH wu-imap.. evil.. I can't believe you recommended that steaming
> pile =)  Courier is fairly easy to setup and I recommend that over
> wu-imap anyday.

The first couple times I tried uw-imap, I didn't think it worked
at all. I'd try to connect with a client, and both the client machine
and the mail server seemed to lock up in a mutual swapping orgy.

The third time I tried it, I got interrupted and didn't have a chance
to give up and reboot the two machines. I left it running overnight,
and when I returned to it in the morning I found the cause of the
problem: imapd had treated my entire home directory as the root mail
folder.

At the time I was using exmh as my mail reader, which sits on top of
MH. MH stores mail as a separate file for each message. imapd treated
each individual message file as a separate mailbox.

Once I realized the problem, I grabbed the source rpm and examined it.
I found where it defined the mailbox, and changed it so it looked in
the ~/mail directory that pine creates. After that it didn't kill
the machines when making a client connection.

There were two gotchas: if a new user tried to connect to imapd,
but they didn't already have a ~/mail directory, they'd get a cryptic
error message. The other one was, if they used pine as their imap
client, they wouldn't see their old folders; instead of using
~/mail/sent-mail, pine would now be using ~/mail/mail/sent-mail.

It's not the greatest imapd available, but it is the easiest to get
running, and as long as you're aware of its issues and can cope with
them, it works okay.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9