From: discuss-bounces at blu.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at blu.org]On Behalf
Of Cole Tuininga
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 10:12 AM
To: Billy SG McCarthy
Cc: Boston Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: 1920x1600

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 10:02, Billy SG McCarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:27:17AM -0500, Stephen Adler wrote:
> > Well... anyone wanna comment on their favorit graphics card?
> > I've always been a matrox guy, but maybe I should think about
> > NVidia? What models will drive a 1920x1600 monitor?
>
> For Linux, I've always gone with ATI.  There is better support in the
> kernel and in whatever X11 you're using.  NVidia requires a binary only
> dirver.

While what Billy says is true (nvidia == binary only driver), my
understanding is that the nvidia driver has a tendency to be more stable
and have better performance (fps, etc).  This is completely anecdotal
however.  I've only ever used the nvidia ones myself and have never had
a problem.

Of course, one's philosophy on tainting the kernel, using binary only
software, buying hardware from companies that won't support open source
may affect the decision as well.

--
With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com