OT: Open source voting machines and other gizmos (was Re: Comcast and SORBS)

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:23:10AM -0500, Gordon Marx wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:15:26 -0500, Bob George
> > I think we should start smaller. How about an open-source toll booth
> > system to replace the dysfunctional stuff (manned and unmanned) in use
> > along the 'Pike?
>
> Um...why?

Recall from reading info from http://www.freethepike.com/ back before
Back before the big dig even started the Pike was pending 10 times the
amount per mile to run the pike than the Mass highway spends to maintain
a mile of all the other highways in the state.

Now, with trying to pay off the big dig, the ratio is probably even worse.

And most of the people who use the pike, seldom (or never) travel on any
part of the BigDig project roads, so the people who are being made to
pay for Mass. part of the cost for the BigDig, basically never use it.

Other reasons, reduce commute times, reduce pollution, increase safety,
reduce road aggravation, increase quality of life, reduce practice of
patronage in Mass Government.

--
Linux/Open Source.  Your base belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"

~
~
~
~