Bizarre CD-Rom trouble

On Nov 23, 2004, at 1:48 PM, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:44:22PM -0500, Josh Pollak wrote:
>> I've swapped drives repeatedly, and each time with the same result, it
>> will eject and work fine once or twice, and then it starts freaking
>> out. What could be causing this? I thought maybe the secondary IDE
>> controller was screwed up, but it recognizes and reads from the drives
>> just fine, so I'm really puzzled.
>
> Check for weird BIOS settings. For example, does this
> motherboard offer a "no-boot CD player" option?

No, it doesn't. I'll pour over the BIOS settings again though.

I should add that I've reset the BIOS to 'optimized default' (maybe I
should try 'safe defaults'), that I've upgraded the bios, and the drive
doesn't eject even during bootup, which is something I've generally
seen drives do.

I've heard that using screws that are too long inside a cd drive can
mess them up. Can then permanently mess them up, or just temporarily? I
don't think the screws are very long, only 2 mm or so, but maybe thats
enough. I could imagine binding the tray closed with the screws and the
eject mechanism breaking, but I can't imagine that happening repeatedly
on different brand drives.

-Josh