OT: Open source voting machines and other gizmos (was Re: Comcast and SORBS)

Al wrote:

> [...] We maybe could create a totally national mass transit paid for
> by taxes.

I do wish we had a viable rail system! Travelling by train is a great
way to go, and it'd pull a lot of traffic off the crumbling roads.

> No more individuals vehicles except off road for police, farmers, and
>  national park service employees for example.

I suspect someone would figure out how to qualify as a farmer, and drive
a tax-deductable Hummer around. (Shades of the botched Alt Fuels scandal
in AZ.)

> Board any transit (bus, train, plane) with a National ID card; no ID
> no ride. It's a thought...

As always, the best compromise is probably in the middle somewhere. Some
shared responsibility.

- Bob