TV Meets IP

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, John Chambers wrote:

> Bob Gorman writes:
> | TV Meets IP
> |
> | http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2004/tc20041123_3012_tc184.htm
>
> Interesting comments. Of course, people have been predicting this for
> a decade, and so far it's always going to happen Real Soon Now.
>
> An interesting case study is ComedyCentral.com, whose Daily Show  got
> lots of attention before the recent election as being one of the best
> places to get good political news.  But  their  web  site  is  hardly
> usable.  Part of this is a strong MS bias, but even people running IE
> on Windows report that their online video clips  "just  don't  work".
> They  used to work on our Mac, but stopped working there a few months
> back.

I've spent a lot of time slogging though the websites of various TV
channels, and they almost universally suck.  They make it so abolutely
impossible to get the basic information you need on programming, where to
ask questions, etc., ususally in the name of showing third-party ads or
advertisements for the very latest shows.

The worst offender is Comedy Central.  On that channel, when you look at
the TV shows, there's usually no way to tell which ones are still in
production and which ones haven't been shown in three years!  Very rarely
do they tell you when a season will start and end, etc.

HBO is probably the best.

These TV companies need to hire web designers and LISTEN TO THEM.

DDDD   David Kramer                              david at thekramer.net
DK KD                                          http://thekramers.net
DKK D
DK KD  HYDROGEN: A colorless, odorless gas which,
DDDD   given enough time, turns into people.