[blu] broadband phones?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Now, with GPS equipped cell phones, POTS starts to become obsolete. The
> problem is that cellular is not a full coverage, especially for rural
> areas. The cellphone companies are placing cell towers near major highways.
> A friend of mine who used to live in Holland, Ma only had either POTS or
> satellite for internet. Holland has no cable or DSL or ISDN, and internet
> providers were all long distance. He then bought his mother-in-law's home
> (next door) in Union, Ct. Now he has cable internet.
>
> I think that John Chambers might remember a lunch conversation we had a
> while back when we worked together where I predicted that wireless phones
> would start replacing POTS.
>
> But, one must remember that the POTS companies are involved in DSL
> (regardless who you get it from), in-state switching, and things like high
> speed lines, like T1.

Last year when I visited my Girlfriends Grandparents in way up there rural
vermont there was no cell access.  This year, over thanksgiving, this year
I had full strength cell access.  POTS when it first came out took a long
time to spread out to rural areas, I think cell phones have made it there
much quicker.  In fact I would say within the next few years digital cell
access will probably be a coast to coast thing that is taken for granted.
Moving on from that it just makes sense that POTS should die.  I think
they should start charging alot more for it assuming there is good cell
access in that area, to help fund upgrades to wireless.  When ATMs first
came out it took awhile for them to be adopted, but then banks started
charging for a teller and people switched.  I think the same applies to
POTS charge an extra $4-$5 a month in urban areas and watch how quick
people switch.

Anthony