WEB mail

Bill Horne commented:
| John Chambers <jc at trillian.mit.edu> wrote:
| >Do you have a gmail account?   It  works  with  http://  or
| >https://, and I routinely use the secure link. If you don't
| >have a gmail account, I can give you one.  (Every  computer
| >geek oughta have one, right?  ;-)
|
| Note that gmail does not yet support Opera.

I hadn't tried that. I suppose it's not surprising.  One thing that I
learned quickly is that gmail's web pages are mostly javascript. I've
looked at the js a bit, and I'd predict that  any  browser  whose  js
isn't  exactly  like one that the google team has tested agains would
probably not work too well.  I'm not sure what opera uses for js, but
I  do  recall  reading  comments  that  it  seems  different from the
javascripts that mozilla/firefox and IE use.

I did a quick check from the opera on my PB (that's OSX), and when  I
logged  in  to gmail, it told me "Your browser's cookie functionality
is turned off.  Please turn it on." I check, and cookies  are  turned
on, so the js test that gmail uses is failing with opera.  This isn't
an unusual problem, of course; I've seen a lot  of  pages  that  fail
from mozilla or firefox with a claim that cookes are disabled.

| If you'd like a home-based secure email solution, Squirelmail works well.

The original question was about remote access via  a  browser.   Does
squirrelmail  provide  a  web  interface?  If so, and your machine is
visible on the web, this could be a good answer. No need to depend on
an outside email supplier.