rkhunter-1.1.9-1.ps.noarch.rpm available (fwd)

David Kramer wrote:

[snip]

>Description
>
>    Rootkit scanner is scanning tool to ensure you for about 99.9%*
>    you're clean of nasty tools. This tool scans for rootkits, backdoors
>    and local exploits by running tests like:

[snip]

Thanks.

I was feeling a bit paranoid lately about my system security (b/c for
example gkrellm would show high CPU usage while the system was idle
having mozilla email client open and would then drop down as soon as I
would 'use' the system.). So, I was hoping to install such a tool but
had not yet set out to find one.

Providence (aka DK) stepped in and voila.

Much to my relief, my system checks out.

I even added it to root's crontab

# setup the recipient of any output, rather than a system user mail account
MAILTO=invalid at freephile.com

# run the rootkit hunter at 5:30am everyday
30 5 * * * /usr/local/bin/rkhunter -c --cronjob

# leave this comment here at the bottom
# it likes it here
# to be sure the last cron command ends with a newline