rkhunter-1.1.9-1.ps.noarch.rpm available (fwd)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, David Kramer wrote:

> Rootkit Hunter scans files and systems for known and unknown rootkits,
> backdoors, and sniffers. The package contains one shell script, a few
> text-based databases, and optional Perl modules. It should run on
> almost every Unix clone.

Without statically compiled programs for the script to run, how do you
know you can trust the restults?  A number of rootkits will actually
provide a trojoned md5sum that will just give you the results you're
looking for rather than the real results for the modified binaries.

chkrootkit (http://www.chkrootkit.org/) is designed to be compiled on a
known good host, then copied to the system that you're not sure about.
All programs used are statically compiled binaries protecting against this
sort of thing.