Backups was Restoring MBR - Solved

Rich Braun wrote:

>>On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:16:16AM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
>>

>>>3. Backups at one-month intervals don't cut it. From now on, weekly at a
>>>minimum. Suggestions for automating the process are welcome.
>>>

>dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
>

>>cron and rsync. Lots of good options there.
>>

>AIT tapes, a tape jukebox and amanda.  Keep offsite copies at your office, in
>your car, at a friend's house.  Protects against both accidental deletions and
>physical loss of the computer system (fire/theft/tsunami).  Rsync can provide
>only limited protection against physical loss (bandwidth requirements usually
>restrict your backups to the same physical building, from which a thief could
>walk out with all your computers).  Yes I've been burgled (1997) so I have
>experience in the matter.
>
>Go to eBay and do such searches as "ait drive", "ait autoloader", and/or "ait
>tapes".  Prices are often ridiculously low; I've paid as little as $6 per
>50-gig tape:  at that price I can even back up a pile of miniDV video tapes.
>
>You can also find my old postings on the subject:  go to the blu mailing list
>page at http://www.blu.org/pipermail/, go to the bottom of the page where it
>has a google search box and look for 'ait' in list 'discuss'.  The box then
>issues the following search to www.google.com:  'ait inurl:pipermail/discuss
>site:blu.org' .
>
>-rich
>
>___

Rich,

Thanks for the suggestion: since I'm not able to commit much money, I'll
be unable to pursue AIT as an option.

I do have CD-R's and Norton Ghost on the W2K box, but that's not
something I can automate. However,  my Debian box has a SAMBA server, so
I can automate backups to the Debian machine and would like ideas about
that. I also have some older Colorado tapes I could use in a pinch,
although they're only about 350 MB per tape, and a DAT drive with a few
tapes that's on a spare machine in my cellar.

TIA.

Bill