linux/windows/mac filesystem

I've joined the external USB/Firewire drive bandwagon.  I'm mostly using
this on my (Linux) machine, but since I'll be storing things like movies
and such, I'd like to be able to bring it along when I see friends who use
Windows and Macs, plug it in, and access my stuff.

Is Fat32 my only option for universal access?  I'd accept that, except that
Fat32 seems to be pretty limited.  For example, it won't allow changes to
the last modified time, so it's hard to use it as the target of an rsync.

What do keychain drives use?

  jj