linux/windows/mac filesystem

On Jan 11, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Gregory Boyce wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, John Jannotti wrote:
>

>> I've joined the external USB/Firewire drive bandwagon.  I'm mostly
>> using
>> this on my (Linux) machine, but since I'll be storing things like
>> movies
>> and such, I'd like to be able to bring it along when I see friends
>> who use
>> Windows and Macs, plug it in, and access my stuff.
>>
>> Is Fat32 my only option for universal access?  I'd accept that,
>> except that
>> Fat32 seems to be pretty limited.  For example, it won't allow
>> changes to
>> the last modified time, so it's hard to use it as the target of an
>> rsync.
>
> Fat32 is your only option really out of box, but ext2 drivers seem to
> be available for both Windows and Mac OS X.  Not sure if that would be
> acceptable for you though since it would require installing those
> drivers on any system you want to access your disk.

Rumor is Liger or Tigon (1), or whatever the next OS X release is
called will have read-write NTFS support, to help with this problem.
Its due out 1st quarter of '05, but who knows.

(1) http://www.greenapple.com/~jorp/amzanim/cross02a.htm
(also
http://toussaint.us/Philipl/Anti_Liger_Alliance/optimusvsliger.swf )