Fedora

I believe installing a new source kernel rpm will
basically blow away the old stuff and make a whole
new directory tree. (I believe.) Actually, now that
I think about it, you'll get .tar.gz files plus
a lot of .patch files in the SOURCE/ directory. The
building process will then blow away what ever
build sub directory there is in BUILD/ and untar
the source files from scratch and apply all the
patches. But you can rename the old source tree
just for yucks to make sure you're not mixing old
source with new.

The main issue is this; you want to start with a
fresh source tree, with each new kernel build.
doing through the rpm hoops does this for you
automatically.