faulty CDROMs

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:00:09AM -0500, gbburkhardt at verizon.net wrote:
> I've been having trouble with burning CDROMs; every so
> often, I can't read a file from a CDROM I've created.
> This is especially annoying when working with an ISO
> image from a distribution.
>
> Does anyone have any general rules of thumb on how to increase
> the yield?

Use a lower burn speed; use BurnProof or similar if your drive
supports it; don't do anything else while you're burning CDs.

Some drives have problems with some specific media: can you find
a correlation? If so, avoid that brand.

> And, second, is there an easy way of getting an MD5SUM from
> a CD that I've burned?  All the ISO images I get have MD5SUMs
> from the distributor, but the only way I've found to check
> them is to mount the ISO image with the loopback device, and
> use "diff -r".

Does your CD burning progam have a verify feature? GCombust
does.

-dsr-

--
Nothing to sig here, move along.