Looking for an open source equivalent to Diffzilla

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:59:13 -0500
Nancy Van Schooenderwoert <vanschoo at acm.org> wrote:

> I'm mostly using the Kate editor, but I miss having a good visual diff
> tool like "Diffzilla" that comes as part of SlickEdit. Here's a
> description of its capabilities:
>
> "DIFFzilla allows software developers to view changes between two
files,
> directories or directory trees - with feature-rich side-by-side
editing
> and color coding capabilities enabled for over 30 programming
languages,
> including Java, C/C++, C#, HTML, XML, Unicode and COBOL. DIFFzilla
> fulfills a critical but often limited or missing function within the
> software development lifecycle by allowing developers to view which
> symbols and functions were changed or added in new versions, view what
> changed on each line and merge three versions of a file back into one.
> Unlike most differencing products, DIFFzilla allows developers to edit
> and update files being compared in real time, thereby saving
> considerable development time."
There are many different diff programs on Linux. Greg mentioned kdiff3
(http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/), emacs has ediff, which I use
frequently. Virtually every code management system has a diff utility.
Vim also has a built-in diff.

BTW: The emacs ediff can be used either vertically or horizontally. I am
primarily C and C++, but diff doesn't really care about languages.

You might also look at some of the IDE's like KDevelop
(http://www.kdevelop.org/) a fully integrated IDE.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group