Problems with USB to serial adaptor

David Kramer wrote:

| Jon Masters wrote, On 01/30/2005 07:47 PM:
|
|> [ apologies for lack of reply threading, I just signed up and don't have
|> a handy message to reply to. btw, hi. I'm going to be coming to Boston
|> LinuxWorld in a couple of weeks and figured I might aswell delurk now.
|> I'm in the UK now but will be doing a road trip down from Ottawa. ]

| Great.  If you see me, say hello.  I'll be the overweight guy in the
| geeky t-shirt.   ;)

I'll be sure you bear that in mind - since I have a vanity problem,
there's a bunch of photos of what I look like on jonmasters.org.

|> He wants to talk to a gdb stub on the embedded target, most likely.
|> Stubs are gdb clients that let you debug stuff from a host box -
|> especially useful if you don't have ethernet on the board since with
|> ethernet he could just use a stub running on a TCP/IP port.

| Just so.

Good good.

| What is happening is that we have this embedded development board.  We
| cross-compile our program under Linux to work with the ARM7 processor on
| the dev board.  gdb has the ability to load the program onto the board
| and run it remotely, giving full debugging output, over a serial
| connection.  So we hook the board up to the Linux box with a serial
| cable, run gdb, tell it to load the application on to the board on the
| given serial port, and then run it in debugging mode.
|
| It works well.  We've been doing this on a desktop, and now we want to
| do it using my spiffy new, but legacy-port-deprived, Thinkpad T42.
| Hence, the USB to Serial converter.

I've had a few issues with using those, but have a similar problem with
my Powerbook talking to random stuff. I'm building a Linux powered
roboduck for a certain magazine at the moment and am having to use a
cheap and nasty dongle. Did you actually try using a remote target:

jcm at perihelion:~$ gdb
GNU gdb 6.1-debian
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-linux".
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyUSB0
Remote debugging using /dev/ttyUSB0

Incidentally, if you think that's run, try using the Xilinx tools!

|> | Did they wire the pins in a nonstandard way
|>
|> He may not have working hardware handshaking on a USB adapter so might
|> want to switch to standard 8N1 non-hardware handshaking at 9600bps.

| How would I do that?

Er...^a-O is probably the option to get in to Minicom Options. Go to
those serial options and change them as suggested, also the dial strings
can be chucked out.

|> | If this device is compatible with minicom, you still need to know
|> | which modem settings to try.
|>
|> Take out the dial strings from the Minicom Options, or use another
|> client such as kermit or something similar. Personally, I still use
|> minicom despite the recommendations of various others, because I'm
|> stubborn and really need to be convinced that I am wrong :-)

| OK, I didn't try that because I thought minicom wouldn't actually
| consider itself "online" unless it got a CD.

Nah, it's a bit more intelligent than that. Note "a bit", there's
probably a lot better replacements for it these days :-)

Jon.