Use of Root

On Monday 31 January 2005 17:10, David Kramer wrote:

> ... All of which could have been handled by sudo.  With sudo, you can
> give mortals the power to run certain commands as root without the root
> password. Best of both worlds.  I know JABR is big on sudo.
I am also. With sudo, the sysadmin can give a user specific privs. For
instance, I gave Rick Zach privilege to shutdown the system, so I didn't
need to drive to Marlborough.

> Since I am both Sysadmin and Power User at home, what I do is I have a
> separate login window on a separate vitrual window for root, and it has a
> red tinted background.  I consider this acceptable risk because I do
> regular backups, though.
I generally don't do that because I can always use sudo. I used to do that
on my workstation in Nashua, but one day I did someting wrong. I decided
that I would use the sux (no sudo then) command when I needed to be root.

But, it comes down to whether the system admin people should extend some
privileges to the user of the workstation.

--
Jerry Feldman <gerald.feldman at hp.com>
Partner Technology Access Center (contractor) (PTAC-MA)