Recommended Distro for Web Applications

A good balance between free and supported would be to run RHEL on
produciton and CentOS or Whitebox on development.  Basically if you
want support for production, you will have to pay for it.  In
development,  use a distro that mirrors your production environment
and with RedHat EL, you can get Whitebox and CentOS to do this
exactly.  Both are built from source rpms provided by RedHat.

-dave