SSH Login delay

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 4:14 pm, David Cass wrote:
> My server is running Red-Hat 9, and when I access the server via SSH, the
> server responds immediately with a login request, and after I type in my
> login id the system responds immediately with "Sent username foo", and
> then there is a LONG pause (up to 30 seconds) before the system asks for
> my password.
>
> I would be pleased if anyone can shed any light on this.
In addition to what others have said, is it possible (put probably not
proabable) that you are spawning sshd via xinetd rather than running sshd
as a daemon.

I would think that RH9 would set up SSHD as a daemon.

In any case, make sure that the sshd daemon is spawning in run levels 3 and
5. If it is not, then go into /etc/xinetd.d and make sure there is no sshd
file. If there is, edit it to turn it off.

--
Jerry Feldman <gerald.feldman at hp.com>
Partner Technology Access Center (contractor) (PTAC-MA)