Embedded software/hardware

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Jon Masters wrote:

> David Kramer wrote:
>
> > I know there's a couple of people here doing embedded development; I'm
> > hoping one can give me some advice.
>
> Indeed. Hi everyone, I'm one of the two Brits that turned up to the LUG
> meeting over at MIT - that was quite interesting.

Yes, I remember.  Great having you there, by the way.  You should see us
when we _plan_ what's going to happen at the meeting ;)

> > So http://www.agilerules.com is developing a workshop on doing embedded
> > software development using agile/extreme programming with open source
> > tools.  We have this ARM-based development board (ARM 7T).  Only now
> > they're not making them anymore, and we need to find another board to
> > use instead.
>
> There are tonnes (or tons) of ARM7 boards kicking around, but I would
> suggest going with ARM9 if you'd like an easy ride with full Linux.

Hmm.  OK, we looked at the difference between the ARM7 and ARM9, and
didn't realize there would be anything in there that made Linux easier,
but that's good to hear.

> > In a perfect world, we would be able to use Linux on the board, but
> > that's not critical, as long as we can use Linux/GCC on the PC to
> > develop for it. It's gotta have a couple of LEDs and switches to
> > interact with too,
>
> The guys at Faebhas do a similar course, I've given the RHD248 course
> for RedHat (which covers similar ground), there are a bunch of European
> guys I can point you towards if you're interested. There are several low
> cost ARM boards on the market and a new one is due out pretty soon that
> targets the hobbyist and developer community (I'll be using it in a
> design for one of the magazines).

Do you know who'se putting out this new board?

> > I was very surprised to see only one embedded vendor at LinuxWorld.
>
> I wasn't. It's not their market, LW is about corporate types who want
> stuff from IBM, Novell, et al. You'd have seen a few of us walking the
> stands but there's little incentive in having a stand to show off cool
> hardware running Linux if nobody is going to be buying it :-)

True.  That would explain why all the backup and recovery booths were
empty, too (unfortunately true).  I am *hoping* that was really because
people are using tools like Amanda already.

> > Recommendations?
>
> Do you want a list of board recommendations? Have you checked out the
> guides over on http://www.linuxdevices.com/ already?

I did look there, and the few boards I found were in the thousands of
dollars.  I'll look again.  It's not very well indexed, so it's possible I
missed the good stuf.

Thanks, Jon.

--
DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net