Are my USB ports dead?

So the other day my ipod, on an otherwise Windows machine, stops
syncing.  Stops being recognized by the machine at all.  Odd.  I power
cycle it and end up with a non bootable PC.  Lord.

Anyway, after a few days of mucking with things and discovering that by
discover that my ipod still isnt being recognized.  Worse, it looks like
all my usb ports are dead.

But wait! This is indeed a Linux related question, as I popped in my
Knoppix rescue disk :).  Here's what I saw:

usb_uhci.c : High bandwidth mode enabled
		usb uhci at I/O 0xd0000, IRQ 21
		Detected 2 ports
	New usb bus registered, assigned bus #1
	USBCMD_HCRESET Timed out!

It then repeats the sequence twice for address 0xd4000 and 0xd8000, both on
irq 21. (Note I may have mucked up the number of zeroes in that address, I
had to copy it down by hand since I couldn't email from the knoppix
boot).  Attempts at this point to plug USB items in or take them out shows
no glimmer of recognition in the logs.  So I'm gonna assume that it is not
Windows being annoying, but an actual problem.

Now what I'm trying to figure out is, is this a hardware failure of the USB
controller (on motherboard) and I should go buy a card to do it?  Or is
this maybe some BIOS setting that has gone awry?  The only bios settings I
can find say whether to enable the onboard usb controller (yes), and to
automatically assign irqs (yes).

Anybody got thoughts for me?  Thanks!

Duane