Small Open Source projects attn: Gordon Marx

On Mar 19, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Gordon Marx wrote:
> Also, whether the Torah has vowels or not has nothing to do with
> humans. The newspaper Yediot Acharonot (and all the other ones) don't
> have vowels, either. :--)

It should be pointed out that in Hebrew, the vowels are small dots and
strokes that are placed
under the characters that represent the consonants they follow. They
are used to teach the language, but very often fluent speakers don't
write them at all, it takes too much time and people recognize the
words without them.

I've always assumed newspapers don't include them because it allows
them to squeeze extra lines onto the page, with them they would have to
save additional space between each line of text.

-Josh