Comcast and DVB

I'm trying to tune channels using DVB (digital video broadcast).  I'm
not trying to capture video from an external tuner or such.  I can tune
analog channels just fine using V4L but I am hoping that the
DVB/QAM/ATSC drivers will allow me to tune unencrypted HDTV and digital
channels from cable tv.  I have the utilities (czap/dvbscan) but they
require some initial data to get started.  I don't even know if it's
even possible to do this so I am also asking if anyone has done it
first.  I'm also curious if this works with satellite (DVB-S?)?

Links:

http://www.dvb.org
http://www.linuxtv.org