DVD R/W et. al.

David Hummel wrote:

> I'm talking about DVD-R specifically.  Most of the dual-layer drives
> currently available only support DVD+R.  It is my understanding that
> DVD-R discs have better compatibility with the widest array of players.
> This is more of an issue with older players though.  My tendency is to
> go for maximum compatibility.

Compatibility varies. I have one DVD player here that will happily play
DVR+R discs, but rejects most DVD-R discs (though it seems OK with
Verbatim DVD-R). But I've also heard of players with the opposite problem.

And even if a standard for DVD-R DL appears, it will be a different
animal, and it may or may not be more compatible with old DVD players
than DVD+R DL.