x2x

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Grant M. wrote:

> Derek Martin wrote:
> > I'm surrounded by systems.  Having multiple displays is cool, but
> > having to use multiple keyboards and mouses to access them is not.  I
> > want to use x2x to solve the problem, but I have some concerns about
> > typing passwords and such over unencrypted X session.  Anyone know how
> > to run x2x under ssh and make it work properly?  My attempts so far
> > seem to have been futile...
> sshd_config:
> # X11 tunneling options
> X11Forwarding yes
> # Port forwarding
> AllowTcpForwarding yes
> # Valid options are yes, without-password, no.
> PermitRootLogin yes
>
> Then restart:
> /etc/init.d/sshd (stop & start)
>
> Then to login:
> ssh -X -l root host.remote.com
>
> The -X will forward any X11 commands back to your local display.

This doesn't bring up a desktop, though.  You can open up a text window
and run X commands, and the output will end up on your display, but you
don't get any menus or buttons or anything.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "I've already explained this once, but repetition is
DK KD  the very soul of the net."
DDDD                                         (from the alt.config newsgroup)