Linux on a laptop ... step 2?

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:45 -0400, David Hummel wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 12:45:26AM -0400, William Ricker wrote:
> > And Ubuntu being bleeding edge, installed APCI but generic.
>
> Yes, irritating.  On my Dell Inspiron 8000, the first thing I have to do
> is recompile and disable ACPI support, or else I'm frozen.  APM suspend
> works fine.

To be fair, an Inspiron 8000 is 3.5+ years old and a *lot* of the ACPI
implementations from that long ago were buggy.  So its not at all
surprising that APM works on that machine and ACPI is problematic.

And, incidentally, have you checked that the DSDT for that laptop is OK?
Intel released a free (as in beer) and fully functional ASL compiler and
associated tools.  And, you might be able to download an improved
version.  See:

  http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php

for details and links to various HOWTOs.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307