My mail server overhaul -- exim

"David Backeberg" <dave at math.mit.edu> wrote:
>> - Reject binary MIME attachments, especially zip/pif/exe.
>
> I can understand doing this for a personal server, but an amazing number
> of people use zips for legitimate file transfer. ...

The one time I ever infected my own Windows PC with a virus was a year or two
ago, when I carelessly clicked on a zip file sent to me in an
innocuous-looking message.  Somehow the virus program itself started, I'm not
sure how, but there is apparently a way for a zip file to auto-execute its
contents before they can be inspected.  Lesson learned, one that I hope others
learn the easy way.

If I were running my own ISP or commercial email service today, I would block
zip files by default (allowing the subscribers to override this in their
subscriber configuration page), and provide some other convenient method for
correspondents to transfer data securely.  The rejection message for zip
attachments would point to a URL describing this method.

As you point out, even at large sites where lots of legitimate use of Windows
zip attachments is done, the overwhelming majority of zip attachments sent
over SMTP port 25 are bandwidth-hogging virii.

-rich