memory limits....

Thanks for the reply. I'm using malloc, under gcc 3.2, red hat,
enterprise linux 3, kernel 2.4. After allocating about 2.4 Gigs,
subsequent malloc's return NULL. I check for NULL returns from
my malloc's and exit my code if this condition is met. The OS
seems to be happy, nothing grinds to a halt. My applications
allocates all the needed memory at startup, so if not enough
is allocated, it informs the user and exits.