memory limits....

Thanks Jerry,

The kernel does allocate more than 2 gigs of memory since I currently
have 4 gigs of physical memory in my server, and the kernel reports
that it "sees" 4 gigs of physical memory. I'm wondering if there is
a difference between memory allocation in user space and memory
allocation in kernel space. If I remember right, the CPU runs in
two different modes, a user mode, and a supervisor mode or something
like that, and the difference is how the CPU addresses memory.
(These are notions I have buried deep in my memory... and could
be false.) So perhaps the user space memory limit is different from
the kernel space memory limit?

Cheers. Steve.