local access rights to *nix boxes

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Matthew Valites wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what access restrictions (if any)
> you're given on your linux or unix desktops at work.  Do you get full
> access including root password with development done on a separate
> machine?  Or do you have limited access to your desktop via something
> like sudo and do development right on it?  Have you had different access
> in the past?  If you have a laptop, is the access any different.  I know
> there's both sysadmins and developers on this list, so where you happy
> with the restrictions you had/set?  What can you do and what can't you
> do that you'd like to be able to?  This should be an interesting thread...

At the companies I've worked for where I had an actual Linux box on my
desk, I had root access.  In all but one of those companies, I *built* the
computer, so they didn't have an opportunity for me to not have root.

Usually I have a Windows box/laptop on my desk, and I telnet/ssh to the
machines doing the real work, because they use MS Exchange for
mail/calendaring.

DDDD
DK KD           Curiosity killed the cat
DKK D           But for a while, I was the suspect.
DK KD
DDDD