VoIP quality

No answers, but some thoughts:

I'm also very interested; Verizon "baseband" (POTS) is just too costly for
my calling pattern.  Fortunately, I'm already a Speakeasy DSL customer
(very happy with it, even though it's not the least expensive), so the
modest added cost is attractive.

One comment, which I don't consider authoritative, is that VOIP/VoIP (take
your pick) apparently encodes after digitizing, using some advanced form
of linear predictive coding, so the voice can be re-synthesized at the far
end. Idea is to lower the bit rate while staying intelligible. Whether
Speakeasy also does this, I don't know. I'd prefer not to sound like a
foreign news reporter talking through a minimal-bit-rate connection. It's
pure speculation, but Speakeasy might be using mu-law or such nonlinear
digitizing (and no coding); that scheme has worked quite well for
digitized phone service over a few decades. Speakeasy does (or did)
advertise superior quality.

Although I haven't called them yet, I expect Speakeasy to have good
answers. For some time, now, they have had "geographical" 911; that is, if
you place a 911 call, their system (third party, I think) makes your
geographical location available to the responders.  A few deaths (no 911
support) have not helped Vonage's reputation, iirc.

For those who want to be really prepared, it might be wise to install a
low-power UPS (if you don't already have one for your computer) to keep
the phone connection alive if commercial power fails. The "phone box" does
require power.

Not too long ago, Speakeasy wanted $40 to set up service; I'd guess part
was for admin. costs, part for the electronics.

Also to look into: Skype, but that's afaik free, more
experimental/hobby/auxiliary, and probably "no-911" compared with
commercial offerings.

HTH!

POTS: "plain old telephone service"
--
Nicholas Bodley  /*|*\ Waltham, Mass. (Not "MA")
Libranet 3.0