[blu] Re: [blu] Re: VoIP quality -- 911 reliability

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Kent Borg wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 07:32:32PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
> > In the case of wired Internet, it's fairly obvious that the  location
> > is  available  somewhere  in  the system.
>
> Wired internet, yes.
>
> I recently signed up for Vonage, and to capture the traffic of the box
> talking to the vonage server, I ran the connection through my notebook
> and ran ethereal.  It required some futzing, but I got the routing
> working.  Then it occured to me: I might be able to do the same when I
> have my notebook hooked up through my Sprint cellphone.  I bet the
> quality will be crappy if it works at all, but it might be possible.
> Just perverse enough that I will have to try it.
>
> As for the 911 address to give, I haven't signed up.  We will be
> traveling back and forth with this box, there is no telling where it
> might be at any moment.
>
> Question: anyone have a recommendation for a really little wired phone
> I could velcro to the Vonage Linksys box to make the package as
> portable as possible?  There is a small phone available in various
> flavors that only works with a plugged in headset (not a handset), but
> I would like to find one with called ID.

For full peverseness, you must plug a 5.8Ghz cordless phone into the
Vonage unit, so you have alternating wired and wireless legs of the
journey.

DDDD   Isaac Hayesimov's Three Laws of Robotics: (by Christ Miller)
DK KD  - A robot must risk his neck for his brother man, and may not cop
DKK D  out when there's danger all about.
DK KD  - A robot must be a sex machine to all the chicks,except where such
DDDD   actions conflict with the will of his main woman.
       - A robot must at all times strive to be one bad motha-shutchyomouth.