Wireless SRX technology

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 12:17 -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> > I have an older
> > wireless-B router that I use only when my daughter visits or on
> > occasion with my laptop. The router is downstairs and the signal is a
> > bit weak upstairs. I don't need the extra speed of the G router.  Is
> > the signal strength of the G routers stronger than the older B routers?
>
> *Anything* which actually delivers on a claim of greater signal range would be
> welcome in my house.

Hi Rich,

Higher-power WiFi cards are available and they can provide a very real
improvement in your usable range.  I bought a "2511 CD PLUS" from
netgate:

  http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_39&products_id=42

and was pleasantly surprised by the better signal quality within my
ca-1925 house.  In fact, using the 2511 card while sitting in a front-
facing room, I was able to associate with the AP in my neighbor's house
who lives *across* the street.  And it works nicely with the Linux
HostAP driver.

Heres another high-power model from SMC:

  http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&cid=94&scid=&pid=346

that also works with Linux.

Ed

--