Wireless SRX technology

Jeff Kinz wrote:

> In most situations, pulling cable in a private residence is problematic
> unless the builder or a recent homeowner installed empty conduits with
> pre-strung pulling cords in it.
>
> (I did this when I rebuilt the floor in my family room years ago).
>
> Overall, I'd rate pulling cable and making the finished wall jacks look
> good to take so much time that going wireless is by far the best way to
> go.

It depends on how much you care about hiding the wiring.

Running Cat5 telephone-style (stapled along the baseboards) is pretty
easy. The only hard part is when you have to get through a wall, and a
special cable installer's drill bit (available at Home Depot) solves
that problem. (The special bit lets you attach a wire that you use to
pull the cable through the hole.) Besides the bit, you will also need a
cable stapler, and an impact tool for the punchdown panel and network
jacks -- about $100 worth of tools, unless you also splurge on a cable
tester. Yes, I have all of the above, and I'm willing to lend them out
to BLU members.

Actually putting the wires INSIDE the walls is more difficult. In a
modern house with hollow wallboard walls, it's still within the
abilities of most of us. In old houses with plaster walls, it's probably
time to call in the professionals.

We've done some of each here at The Buttery. The first floor (the public
space) has in-wall wiring, which we had an electrician do when we were
doing a major upgrade to our electrical system. (He just pulled the
cables; I put on the network jacks and wall plates, and the punchdown
panel in the basement.) We did the upper floors ourselves, with wiring
along the baseboards.

Doing a wired network properly may actually be more expensive than
wireless, depending on how extensive your network is. You're likely to
need an Ethernet switch (unless the 4 ports that your router probably
has are enough), a punchdown panel (trying to crimp the connectors onto
the cables yourself is definitely not recommended -- take it from
somebody who has been there), jacks for each wired location, and a bunch
of network cables (one for each port of the switch to go to the panel,
and one to go to each computer). Makes the price of those wireless
routers look a lot better, especially when they're down to $10 after
rebates!

And yes, we also have wireless. Belt AND suspenders, you know. But I
like the reliability of wired networking; the wireless misbehaves every
once in a while, perhaps due to interference from other things on the
airwaves, but the wired network just works.

Except after a recent lightning storm, but that's another story. We had
a strike quite near the house that took out the neighborhood's power for
eight hours. When the power came back on, I discovered that we had lost
our incoming gateway router, as well as the port of the Ethernet switch
it was plugged into. (The other 7 ports of the switch are still fine,
though!) Fortunately, I keep a spare on hand, so we were only down for
about one extra hour.