Solution: Re: VIM multi-line inserts making me crazy

Mike Ledoux gets the prize:

><Ctrl-V>jjjjjI# <esc>
>
>does the trick, inserting '# ' at the beginning of 5 lines.

I was actually using <Shift-V> to enter visual mode instead of <C-V>
as I said I was doing -- my aplogies for the misinformation (*shame, shame*).
The difference is <C-V> enters "VISUAL BLOCK" mode -- <Shift-V> enters
"VISUAL LINE" mode.  Mike's solution is *exactly* what I was looking for.
It allows you to enter any text you want at the beginning of the highlighted "block"
but thanks to everyone for pointing out other ways of achieving the result
as well.

My apologies for the waste of bandwidth and thanks for preventing further
damage to my forehead and keyboard.