Problems capturing dv input

So a long time ago, I tried capturing video from my MiniDV camcorder (Canon
Optura 100) on my SuSE 9.0 server.  It came out as garbage, I figured it was
because the release was so old.

Well, I just got a PCMCIA firewire card from my laptop running SuSE 9.2, and
I'm getting the same thing.  Different hardware, different OS (the camcorder
is the same, obviously).

The output looks like this: There are three or four or so blocky areas that
flash random-looking blocks of colors.  The rest is blank.  I tried Main
Actor and Kino.  They control the camera fine, and I only see this pattern
when I'm actually sending output from the camera, so it's not random noise
from some other source.

Here's two raw dv captures:
http://www.thekramers.net/tmp/capture001.dv
http://www.thekramers.net/tmp/dvcap000.dv