Verizon Fios

On Aug 8, 2005, at 3:45 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> our terms are. I do know the satellite service is $500/mo and has a
>> latency of 75ms.
>>
> Josh,
> What is the bandwidth you are getting from Comcast, and are you
> getting a
> static IP? AFAIK, Comcast downstream is
>
> T1 is symmetrical approximately 1.5Mbps. I don't know what your
> effective
> bandwidth will be on the satellite.

Hitting one of those bandwidth testing websites says I get 2.9 Mbs,
that is of course with other people on the network. My co-worker says
we are guaranteed 1.5 but generally get much higher, but Comcast
changes policies all the time, so we could have been bumped up
without us being informed (Ie, I got bumped up by RCN at home at
least twice).

We have a static IP and my co-worker said we get 256k up, but it
could be 512k now.

As for the latency from the satellite, I was surprised to that it
would only be 75ms, but I don't know what the technology is. Frankly
I don't really want to deal with it. I'd rather someone else dealt
with provisioning, and I'll just whine until its fixed if it isn't
sufficient.

I believe the satellite service is symmetrical.

-Josh