OT: query on world.std.com

On Monday 15 August 2005 6:19 pm, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 03:26:34PM -0400, Bob Leigh wrote:
> > > forgive me, but has world.std.com gone off the air for good?
> > >
> > > no nameservice, no ping (host unreachable), no mx records...
> >
> > Traceroute (from a comcast cable modem connection) goes as far as
> > TowerStream's routers at the Pru.
> >
> > World's supportsters say it's a problem with their upstream provider
> > and they hope to be back by 5pm today.
>
> Amazingly, this is a plausible reason for the outage. (No, I will not be
> renewing our contract with TowerStream. Nor do I recommend that anyone
> use them until they get their act together...)
I keep my world account for 3 reasons:
1. They are my backup dialup provider if cable every goes down. (Probably
not a good reason since I probably will lose my phone service too).
2. If I am on the road, I can use them. Again, not a strong reason since
nearly every hotel has direct Internet.
3. I like my gaf user id.

In any case, I don't think I have any real need for it.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group