ALSA woes / alsaconf

Folks,
   I've run into trouble upgrading my box (kernel 2.6.9) -- ALSA is no
longer functional.  All of the relevant modules load fine, but I get
nothing in terms of sound output.  I've manually unmuted channels, etc.,
but zip ... UNLESS I run alsaconf, the utility included with ALSA.
After running alsaconf, everything works great until the next reboot.
   Comparing the modules loaded before and after running alsaconf, it
looks like alsaconf loads two additional mods (snd_pcm_oss and
snd_mixer_oss).  I've tried loading those by hand, but still no sound
after loading.  This leads me to believe that alsaconf is
muting/unmuting something useful -- does anyone know what alsaconf does
after loading the relevant mods?  It says something about unmuting
channels (I tried alsaconf -L to log output, but the logging output is
useless).
   The only other hint I can offer is that ALSA isn't properly storing
its levels when shutting down, even though SAVE_ON_STOP is set to "yes".

Help!
d.

Up-to-date Gentoo installation
Intel i8x0 sound card (IBM Thinkpad T41)
Kernel 2.6.9
using kernel mod sound drivers instead of alsa-distributed drivers, as
recommended by Gentoo docs