xbuffy on RHEL4

<quote who="Steven L. Kleiman" date="Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 09:10:29PM -0400">
> RHEL4 too doesn't have xbiff, and so I downloaded the most recent
> version of xbuffy I could find.  But here's what happened
>
> $ rpm -i --test xbuffy-3.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libm.so.5 is needed by xbuffy-3.3-1.i386
>         libc.so.5 is needed by xbuffy-3.3-1.i386
> $ locate
> libm.so.
> /lib/libm.so.6
> /lib/i686/libm.so.6
> /lib/tls/libm.so.6
>
> What did you do?  Did you link libm.so.5 to libm.so.6?  Did you
> recompile from source?

No. I installed a package on both my Debian and Ubuntu machines with
"apt-get install xbuffy" or some graphical equivalent of the action in
Synaptic. I do not use any RPM based distributions so I cannot help
you in this regard.

Rebuilding from source (ideally, an SRPM) would almost certainly work
in your case although I suggest you try Dan's advice first. His link
to the xbuffy packages seems to be to a more recent version than the
one you mentioned. Since, as I understand it, xbuffy has not been
actively maintained for some time now, having the latest version would
seem like a very good idea.

Regards,
Mako

--