Monitor problem

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:20:15 -0400, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:37:11 -0400 Doug Sweetser <sweetser at TheWorld.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> My monitor is unhealthy.  The screen is jumping up and down about a
>> half centimenter.  It is a 21" Dell.  Does anyone repair these things?

There was someone in New England who did repair them. Sorry; have lost
track, though.

> It could be one of several things (assuming this is a glass monitor):
> 1. The tube itself. -- Probably too expensive to replace.

Extremely unlikely. (Jerry, I'm a retired electronic tech.; not trying to
be impolite.)

> 2. The flyback (the electronics in the monitor). Most TV repair people
> can fix this, but it may not be worth it.

If it were the flyback (transformer), the high voltage would (really
likely) be affected, and the image size would be wrong. As well, the
horizontal scan would, very likely, not be OK. Problem, you say, is up and
down; that's vertical deflection.

> 3. It could possibly be your graphics card. Make sure you check the
> monitor on another computer.

Absolutely! Try a different resolution, first.

A really-competent TV repairman might be able to fix it, but monitors
adapt to a range of scan frequencies, while TVs do not.  Technical data,
always very welcome, might be hard or impossible to get; likewise,
replacement parts might be difficult to get.

--
Nicholas Bodley  /*|*\ Waltham, Mass. (Not "MA")
The curious hermit -- autodidact and polymath