Thunderbird hanging on imap server?

I've got a user who's having problems with Thunderbird on XP, talking
to our Courier IMAP server on CentOS. It's been working fine for her
for months, but in the past few days it's been getting stuck trying to
load the first message. I connected to her machine with vnc to see what
was happening, and I've found that it basically can't open any
messages; I clicked on several messages in her inbox, and in each case
it would sit there forever trying to retrieve the message. It had no
problem retrieving the headers, or notifying when new mail arrived; it
just can't open the actual messages themselves.

Rebooting didn't clear up the problem. I tried reinstalling
thunderbird, going from 1.0.2 to 1.0.6, but that didn't change the
behavior. I tried  Outlook for comparison, and Outlook had no
difficulties reading the messages. I disabled all extensions in
thunderbird, and still the problem persists.

What else can I try? I just spent about an hour on google, but so far I
haven't found any matches for this problem.

--
John Abreau
IT Manager