Could comcast be blocking port 6667 outbound?

On Thursday 01 September 2005 9:01 pm, John Chambers wrote:
> Of course, trying to get computer people to agree on ?definitions ?is
> just ?asking ?for ?a ?long ?flame ?war. ? I remember years ago on one
> project, where I eventually figured out that one problem we ?had ?was
> that ?the ?unix ?and ?vms crowds used exactly reversed definitions of
> "d[a]emon" and "server".
The, at the same time Alec Chin had his own definitions :-)
The problem in any technical industry is that you are dealing with
perspectives and communities.
I worked for a company whose definition of asynchronous was exactly opposite
the definition of synchronous when dealing with processes.
I think that Matt Galster posed exactly what is meant by inbound and
outbound.

WRT: Comcast (and predecessors). There was a clause in their service
agreement that prevents you from running a server. Before they (Comcast,
AT&T BB, MediaOne, Highway1) started blocking ports, some people would run
IRC servers or IRC bots from their systems. The problem here is that people
from outside the network would start to use those servers. Same is true for
open-relay email. At some point, they started to run port scanners to see
if their customers were running servers, primarily open-relay email and
IRC. Port 80 blocking was done because of the code red worm.

On the other hand, blocking an outbound port, such as 6667 (IRC) would
prevent their customers from using a perfectly legitimate service. You
might want to block this on a firewall to prevent your kids from using IRC
or similar services.
--
Jerry Feldman <gerald.feldman at hp.com>
Linux Expertise Center (PTAC-MA/TX)