ubuntu and Linux refresh rate?

Having used MacOS, Windows, and Linux, I've found Linux to be the most
difficult to "easily" adjust the refresh rate on. Screen resolution is not
so much a problem. I'm as much of a fan of command line as GUI, but if a
Linux distro gives me the option of adjusting the screen characteristics via
a GUI, as does ubuntu, I'd like to think I have full reign. The same video
card under Windows gives me the right balance of resolution and refresh
rate. But under ubuntu (or most any other X interface for Linux), I get 60
hz refresh for most resolutions, with an occasional 56 hz for a couple
settings. My preference is for higher refresh rates (80hz, 90hz, etc).

Why can't it be that simple? For a distro designed to be user friendly,
which, I will admit Ubuntu comes very close to being, this simple option can
make a big difference with overall usability. It is preferred to not have to
perform a hard trial and error with editing a file or two in a text editor,
then restarting X. A GUI interface should provide an on-the-spot test.

Insight and education are welcome for feedback.

Thanks.

Scott