Browser performance -- blocking adware in DNS

Josh ChaitinPollak wrote:
> How does this solution affect websites that require the doubleclick
> cookies or whatever to function properly? Some websites refuse to  work
> unless you have their ad provider's cookies.

I suspect that you're correct in assuming the delay is caused by
refusing cookies. The fix that Rich has proposed re-directs any request
to the blocked domains to use the file specified as for DNS, which
in-turn redirects those requests to localhost (which will likely return
a 404 error for most requests).

You can also do this by simply adding all of those domains to your
/etc/hosts, or on Windows, C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. The
entries should look like:
127.0.0.1	ad.doubleclick.net  (the 'ad' machine name only)

Where the first entry is the ip address you wish to redirect requests
to, and the second is the hostname of the server you want to ignore.

The drawback with /etc/hosts is that it will only redirect that single
machine, and not ad1.ad.doubleclick.net.

Grant M.